From: Julia Churchill <jchurch...@olpl.org>
To: "videolib@lists.berkeley.edu" <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Mon, June 27, 2011 3:32:42 PM
Subject: [Videolib] borrowing restrictions for movies

Hello everyone,

    I would like your opinion on an policy that has bothered me since I took this job approximately seven years ago. Each year we revisit it and each year we keep the same policy.

    I work in a medium size public library that serves a population of 55,000. The borrowing policy of the library prohibits patrons under the age of eighteen from checking out any DVDs or videos. We also charge an “Insurance fee” of .50 for residents and $1.00 for non-residents per item.

   I know what ALA would say about restricting access to these items. However, this is not a perfect world where parents watch what their children check out from the library. We have had enough controversy at this library and I don’t think we want any more. Heaven forbid if little Johnny should take home a movie that shows a breast! We do have a vocal conservative element in the community.

   So my question is, what should we do? Keep the policy? Change it to allow everyone access? I should tell you that because of this policy I buy some unrated movies and plenty of R rated.

Julia Churchill

Audio Visual Supervisor

Oak Lawn Public Library

9427 S. Raymond Ave.