Everyone,

This is a really important discussion to have that goes to the core
of so much, though perhaps difficult to have it effectively on a
listserv  -- and right before a long weekend.  We might need to take
this into another forum to try to come up with some solutions that
work for all  --   media librarians, distributors and producers.  All
parties need to better understand the changing financial realities
and other forces that we must adapt to.

I've worked with a number of  producers and distributors over the
years, most recently The Video Project.  Pricing has always been a
really troubling issue, as you know.  Many distributors have
experimented with home video level pricing and it hasn't produced
nearly enough return to warrant substantially reducing pricing. And
now, there are new challenges with budget cuts, the web, digital
options, and many producer opting for limited or full
self-distribution (and not knowing what they're doing, in many cases,
unfortunately).

I think it needs to be said that college and university media
purchases have been the primary revenue base for smaller doc
distributors.  In effect, they've supported the making and
distribution of independent documentaries, not to mention being the
lifeblood of distributors.  Without that base of support, I don't
think we'd see for much longer the kind of documentaries that are
currently being made. And it's already a serious challenge.  Few
filmmakers ever make back the hundreds of thousands of dollars they
may put into producing a film.

So, we need to come up with some collective solutions that will work
for all parties.

Anyone have a suggestion for how and where we can best pursue this?
NMM is one option of course. Maybe there could be some in person
regional discussion before that.  And is there another online forum
that would work better?

Best,

Steve Ladd
--