"have put out statements and articles extending fair use WAY past what the
law allows"

Well, Denis, I was with you until the above statement.  What the law
allows in regard to fair use is, as you know, largely untested in the
courts (and largely not precisely articulated in the law itself).

I know it sounds very Berkelyish, but I've also thought about FU in terms
of common sense and fairness.  FU claims made in support of screening (or
digitizing) whole copyrighted works without permission have always been
perplexing (at least to me).

While I'll go down fighting for broad interpretations and applications of
FU (I DO think media concerns continue to bully the marketplace), I've
also continued to keep in mind the original constitutional intent of the
copyright law, which was to "To promote the Progress of Science and useful
Arts."  Which means that if the content providers we esteem get screwed
over, there may be a hell of a lot less decent content in the future.

Gary

Director
Media Resources Center
Moffitt Library