Hi

I think this is a very gray area of international law.  I'm not aware of
any contractual stipulation (at least for the hundreds of out-of-region 1
discs we've purchased) that mandate anything about players.  This most
certainly IS NOT a copyright issue.

The one big fly in the ointment re purchasing "code free" players is that
while the seller may offer a short-term warranty, the manufacturer's
warranty is almost uniformly voided...(the reason is that code free
players are always after-market modifications...they're not sold directly
by the big manufacturers--Sony, JVC, Panasonic, et al.)

The whole thing is more than a little nuts.

gary handman

> I am now aware they were ever considered illicit, but I am not always in
> the
> loop on tech stuff. Dumb question though, don't you mean a multi-system
> player? I assume that if a DVD is say region 3, the player is simply able
> play most or all different regions. I thought region free referred to
> discs
> that could play on any player. I would consider such players essential for
> ANY school, in fact several would be a good idea.
>
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Mandel, Debra <d.man...@neu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi-
>>
>> Are region-free players still considered illicit?  If so, why? Does
>> anyone
>> feel comfortable recommending a model/vendor to me? I have to replace
>> one
>> that said "adieu."
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Debra
>>
>> Debra H. Mandel,
>> Head, Digital Media Design Studio
>> Northeastern University Libraries
>> 360 Huntington Ave.
>> 200 SL
>> Boston,  MA 02115
>> 617-373-4902;  617-373-5409-Fax

>> issues
>> relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic
>> control,
>> preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries
>> and
>> related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an
>> effective
>> distributors.
>>

> --
> Jessica Rosner