NBC-learn is nicely done, but very expensive for what it is.

Barb Bergman | Media Services & Interlibrary Loan Librarian | Minnesota State
University, Mankato | (507) 389-5945 | barbara.berg...@mnsu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Chris Lewis
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 11:54 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Similar question - NBCLearn

We looked at it but not seriously. It's three times the cost of the Vanderbilt
TV News Archive. Vanderbilt includes footage from CNN, Fox, and PBS too. NBC
has at least two advantages over Vanderbilt - better searching capabilities and
an app that plugs into Blackboard. If Vanderbilt got HEAVY use I might consider
it but it's use is tepid at best so adding 300% to the current price we pay for
TV news archives can't be justified.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Deg Farrelly <deg.farre...@asu.edu> wrote:
> NBCLearn http://highered.nbclearn.com is aggressively marketing their
> new collection of video clips.
>
> It has caught the eye and ear of some of ASU's higher ups... But I
> have strong reservations about the $12K per year cost (tho I heard
> yesterday that the cost is actually $18K per year!)
>
> I think the Vanderbilt Television News Archive (if licensed) and
> NewsLook http://www.newslook.com/ cover the content as well....
>
> What do others think?
>
> -deg
>
> --
> deg farrelly
> Arizona State University
> P.O. Box 871006
> Tempe, AZ 85287
> Phone:  480.965.1403
> Email:  deg.farre...@asu.edu

Chris Lewis
Media Librarian
American University Library
202.885.3257

For latest Media Services News:
Blog: http://aulibmedia.blogspot.com
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/American-University-Library-Media-Services/132559226823103
Twitter: http://twitter.com/aulibmedia

Please think twice before printing this e-mail.