From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Mary Lou Neighbour
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:20 AM
To: 'videolib@lists.berkeley.edu'
Subject: [Videolib] Music Appreciation DVDs

I am appealing to the wisdom of the list.  A music faculty member wants recent
dvds on the various eras of classical music:

Middle Ages & Renaissance
Baroque
Classical
Romantic
20th Century

He would like something visually stimulating and attention-grabbing.  We have
in our collection:

Art and Music as Reflections of Time (VHS) 1986, originally 1974, which has
parts on all of the eras
Teaching Company's Music Appreciation series of lectures (VHS) 1993
Leonard Bernstein's Young People's Concerts (DVD)
Various VHS and DVD productions on individual composers

What the faculty member would like are interesting, dynamic presentations on
all of the eras.  On OCLC, I found a Films for Humanities series, The
CLEARVUE/eav Art & Music Series - 8 parts for $799.60.  It is not available on
Films on Demand, which we purchase yearly.  Even though the description calls
the series visually dynamic, all I saw in some of the various part previews was
a talking head.

I have checked a number of our regular vendors, and have found nothing that
fits the bill.  Do any of you wise librarians have any suggestions???  Any help
would be greatly appreciated!

Mary Lou Neighbour
AV Librarian/Assistant Professor
Montgomery County Community College
340 DeKalb Pike
Blue Bell, PA 19422
mneig...@mc3.edu  215-619-7355

Montgomery County Community College is proud to be
the #1 ranked technology-savvy community college in the nation,
as determined by the Center for Digital Education and Converge magazine.