From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of CAPLAN Victoria F
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2011 11:29 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Friday fun question, early...

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for recommending that "A Chinese Feast", it's one of my family's
favorites. We adore the scene w/ the big Garoupa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chinese_Feast

If you liked that one, you might also enjoy Stephen Chow's "The God of Cookery"
- which also has a cooking show-down http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_Cookery

There's a also food motif in the love interest in his "Shaolin Soccer", the
duogh scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6DYOXkdwp4&feature=related

Zhang Yimou's "A Simple Noodle Story" ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Simple_Noodle_Story

- a remake of Blood Simple, but set in a noodle shop in China's Far West during
 the Qing (?).  I remember it has a nice dough making scene, but that was about.

Regards,
Victoria Caplan
Media Resources & Microforms
HKUST Library
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology

> This one is not well known but totally brilliant, A CHINESE FEAST by
> Tsu
Hark. It ends withsort of a cook off to the death between the good chef and the
bad chef, basically like Samurai film with food. An earlier scene involving a
petty criminal who becomes a chef to be with girlfriend and ends up wrestling a
giant fish in the kitchen makes me laugh just thinking of it.

> Never understood why it is not a cult classic.
>
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Brigid Duffy <bdu...@sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) Guess Who's Coming to
>> Dinner (1967) The Man Who Came to Dinner  (1942) Soul Food (1997)
>> Brigid Duffy Academic Technology San Francisco State University San
>> Francisco, CA  94132-4200
>> E-mail: bdu...@sfsu.edu
>> On Nov 3, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Chris McNevins wrote:
>> Not my fave but it does deal with food…EAT, PRAY, LOVE How about MY
>> DINNER WITH ANDRE?
>> Chris McNevins | ACQUISITIONS COORDINATOR UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT |
>> HOMER BABBIDGE LIBRARY
>> 369 Fairfield Way Unit 2005AM | Storrs, CT 06269-2005 USA
>> PH: 860-486-3842 | FX: 860-486-6493 | EMAIL: chris.mcnev...@uconn.edu
Man