Well, I'm friends with the Grateful Dead's longtime archivist and of
course, when that band transferred their archive to UC Santa Cruz and they
advertised for the collection's curator position at the University, that
story made it all the way to Letterman's standup routine to open his show.

And last year, I was at a lab and on one of the monitors in the studio, I
glimpsed a long, long video (in terms of minutes. After all, I am a
gentleman...) of a closeup of John Lennon's.. well, you know.... That was a
part of a gigantic (again... referring to the process -- I'm still a
gentleman) restoration project of Lennon's and Ono's films and videos. It
was a very secret project at the time and the lab was very upset that I had
guessed the collection based on the footage I saw. I tried to explain that
it was all too personal a story of a wild weekend in Havana, three bottles
of rum, the Bay of Pigs Invasion and Fidel Castro, but the truth was that I
had read about the existence and exhibition of the video years ago.

Anyway, long story short. As soon as an industry ages and there's money to
be made in its history, archivists are needed. That includes Rock 'n Roll.

Dennis