The format has nothing to do with rights...copyright included.

The important thing (or at least one of the important things) to keep in
mind is that "out of distribution" and "out of copyright" aren't the same
thing.  Take for example a defunct company such as Carousel Films:
Carousel originally had the distribution rights to Selling of the
Pentagon.  The work was originally broadcast on CBS (I think).  CBS
undoubtedly still has the rights.

Got it?

gary handman

> We still have a small collection of 16mm films.  A local historical
> society has contacted the branch manager where we house these films and
> asked if they could send some high school students over to view material
> in some of these films.  (The films can't be checked out; only used
> on-site.)  If they want to use any footage from these films, what
> information do we need to give them regarding copyright?  They are under
> the impression that, if the company that originally made the film is out
> of business, they are free to use footage from the film as long as they
> give proper credit.  This doesn't sound right to me; could that be true?
> I have three books on copyright for librarians on my desk, none of which
> seems to be addressing this question.  If you can give me the legal
> citation or something official that we can pass along to them, that would
> certainly be helpful.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Vicki Nesting
> St. Charles Parish Library