Dear James,

Not to be commercially officious or even have the correct opinion, but this
is based on our history. When speakers give public talks using clips from
our films, they often call us to clear the rights. Obviously, we charge the
large corporate talks more than we would ever charge a college, even a
for-profit one. So you director *might* be right.

Dennis

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM, James Leftwich <j...@berkeleycollege.edu>wrote:

> Seems the consensus on here is that this is fair use:
>
> I work for a for-profit college so classroom exceptions do not apply.  I
> have a professor who wants to screen the feature "Thank You for Smoking" in
> a classroom setting however he will not be screening the entire film.  He
> will be choosing 5-6 snippets of the film (5 minutes long).  Do I need to
> secure viewing rights for this?
>
> I've just been instructed by my Director that there are no exceptions for
> for-profit institutions and that I will need to get PPR for the film.  What
> she wrote:
>
> Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the
> reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as
> criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.
> Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining
> whether or not a particular use is fair:
>         1.     The purpose and character of the use, including whether such
>            use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational
>            purposes
>         2.     The nature of the copyrighted work
>         3.     The amount and substantiality of the portion used in
> relation
>            to the copyrighted work as a whole
>         4.     The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or
> value
>            of, the copyrighted work
>
> Still think it's fair use?
>

> James  Leftwich
> Berkeley College
> Director, Westchester Campus Library
> 99 Church Street
> White Plains, NY 10601
> 914-694-1122 x3370
> j...@berkeleycollege.edu

Best regards,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: 201-767-3117
Fax: 201-767-3035
email: milefi...@gmail.com
www.milestonefilms.com
www.comebackafrica.com
www.yougottomove.com
www.ontheboweryfilm.com
www.arayafilm.com
www.exilesfilm.com
www.wordisoutmovie.com
www.killerofsheep.com
<http://www.killerofsheep.com>
Join "Milestone Film" on Facebook and Twitter!
and the
Association of Moving Image Archivists <http://www.amianet.org>!

Follow Milestone on Twitter! <http://twitter.com/#!/MilestoneFilms>