Hey hey Danette

Here are my faves:

Baghdad Blogger (Filmakers Library)

        "I live in Baghdad. I am a blogger." So begins this succinct report from
Salam Pax, an Iraqi journalist who attempts to keep the world informed
about his beleaguered country. Pax regularly sends fifteen-minute video
reports to the BBC. Known under his pseudonymous name "The Baghdad Blog,"
he writes an online English-language journal of life before, during and
since the U.S. invasion of Iraq. He is troubled by the inability of the
Americans to maintain a stable occupation and the failure of the interim
government and new Iraqi army.

Iran: The Cyber Dissidents (Filmakers Library)
    Documents the recent history and current state of the reformist
movement in Iran. Discusses how the internet has given new life to a
reformist movement that has deteriorated due to threats of arrest,
imprisonment, torture, and death. Primarily follows Farid, a
"cyber-dissident" who has become a leader of the opposition via his
website. 2005. 26 min.

Afro@digital (California Newsreel)

Looks as the information technology revolution which has become a daily
reality in many African countries where the Internet, mobile telephones
and digital video cameras are being used with extraordinary creativity.
Visits a marabout who explains he no longer replies by letter to questions
but uses his mobile phone and email to transmit his advice. Another
illustration of the digital revolution in Africa is the rise of internet
cafes and cyber teahouses. In some towns in Senegal and the Congo,
increasing numbers are connecting to internet using a laptop computer with
a mobile phone.

North-South.com (Nordsud.com) (Icarus Films)
    Documentary that explores how young women in the African Republic of
Cameroon use internet cafés to search for marriage prospects in Europe
to escape poverty. Interviews many of these young women who see Europe
as a "paradise," and who express incredibly naïve beliefs about
European men. The film also tells the stories of several Cameroonian
women who married white Europeans, showing their current situations,
the cultural differences with which they deal, and the personal
sacrifices they made in exchange for economic security. A film by
François Ducat. 2007. 90 min.

> I have a faculty member who is "looking for films (documentaries preferred
> but feature film considered) that deal with the ways different populations
> are employing new media technologies -- cell phones, social media, etc. --
>  in the course of everyday life -- either by communities or institutions
> with particular interest in new technologies in the context of war and
> political conflict.  Recommendations for new films on new media and the
> Arab spring, or Iranian elections of 2009 especially welcomed." I know
> there's a lot out there, and I'm beginning a list (Burma VJ, etc.), but
> I'd really appreciate your feedback during this busy time of the semester.
> Thanks to all, and to all a Happy New Year! -Danette Pachtner, Duke
> University

Director
Media Resources Center
Moffitt Library