So?  Has anyone had an opportunity to read em?

I've had several quick reads and it seems to me that the two most
significant principles being supported relevant to video are:

1. A fair use justification for digitizing and delivering of library video
collections to classes...pretty heavy!  The notion of transformative use
comes into play--shades of UCLA!

On quick reading I find this principle more than a bit problematic:  it says
"It is fair use to make appropriately tailed course-related content
available to enrolled students via digital networks"

What does that mean, exactly, though?  A fair use claim for digitizing
DVDs and/or vhs tapes to support specific classes, regardless of content
type, regardless of license availability?  Regardless...  I feel like I'm
missing something.  (If Pat Aufderheide is lurking...I'd really like to
hear her thoughts).

2. Going beyond current 108 allowances by claiming fair use for a)
"preemptive" preservation (not simply 108's requirement that the item
being considered for preservation must demonstrate deterioration); and b)
off-premises use of preservation copies to library patrons.  (I didn't get
the sense that the document supports network delivery of materials made
under 108 provisions...)

I'm interested in hearing what the rest of you think...

gary

Gary Handman
Director
Media Resources Center