Dear list,
Many of the questions people are posing with respect to the ARL code could be
solved by, radical as this idea may be, actually reading the code.  However,
since it's apparently much easier to complain than to learn, I will summarize
what the code actually says on this issue.

The principle: It is fair use to make digital copies of collection items that
are likely to deteriorate, or that exist onl in difficult-to-access formats,
for purposes of preservation, and to make those copies available as surrogates
for fragile or otherwise inaccessible materials.

Limitations

*       Preservation copies should not be made when a fully equivalent digital
copy is commercially available at a reasonable cost

*       Libraries should not provide access to or circulate original and
preservation copies simultaneously

*       Off-premises access to preservation copies circulated as substitutes
for original copies should be limited to authenticated members of a library's
patron community, e.g., students, faculty, staff, affiliated scholars, and
other accredited users

*       Full attribution, in a form satisfactory to scholars in the field,
should be provided for all items made available online, to the extent it can be
determined with reasonable effort

Additional recommendations (called "enhancements" in the code's lingo)

*       Fair use claims will be enhanced when libraries take technological
steps to limit further redistribution of digital surrogates...

*       Fair use claims will be further enhanced when libraries provide
copyright owners a simple tool for registering objections to use of digital
surrogates...

So, to answer Ms. Rosner's question: the effort that the code recommends taking
is ascertaining whether or not something is still commercially available before
preserving/reformatting, and to not use the preservation copy as a "free" (or,
if you will, "stolen") 2nd copy.  It does not say anything strictly about
contacting the rights holder.  However, the statement that "I think it sums up
the entire attitude of the ARL code of basically under no circumstances involve
or consult with rights holders on the material they own or made because they
are the enemy" is completely farcical and not at all supported by the actual
text of the code, much as most of Ms. Rosner's understanding of fair use seems
to be unsupported by the actual text of US Code 17.

On a side note: I'm not entirely sure why Ms. Rosner conflates what one "top
NYU" person says with the beliefs and practices of the entire ARL and/or
academic community.  Would the media distribution community would be entirely
comfortable with me assuming that Ms. Rosner speaks representatively for them?
I hope not.

Terry

Terry Simpkins
Director, Research and Collection Services
Library & Information Services
Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT 05753
(802) 443-5045