Hi Mike

Well...you've asked a question that gets at an argument that has probably
garnered four or five hundred posts on this list (and others as well) in
the last few years alone.  The answer is hotly debated, to say the least,
and is currently being tested in courts:  UCLA vs Association for Media
Information and Equipment (AIME)...

There are, in other words, no easy or definite answers.  Take a look at
the videolib archive and search under the keywords UCLA, ARL (which has
developed a controversial set of Fair Use Best Practices) and you'll get a
sampling of the conversations regarding your question.

videolib archive is at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/videolib@lists.berkeley.edu/

Older posts archived at: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/VideoLib/archive.html

Gary Handman

> There seems to be this notion from faculty at my campus that they can take
> a program with copyright and place the entire movie on D2L or other online
> sources.  I don't believe a campus has the right to place an entire
> program online for students to watch at their convenience.  I don't
> believe the TEACH Act or Fair Use cover this type of situation.  If
> someone can point to a particular piece of copyright law that would
> illustrate this that would be helpful.
>
> Does anyone have specific examples of campuses be targeted/fined for
> copyright infringement?
>
> I would appreciate any assistance you can provide.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike Schmitt
> UW-Green Bay

Director