Hi

I assume you're including North Africans?

Docs

Europlex
    Investigates the daily, sometimes illicit migration, across borders
between Morocco and Spain- a rare intersection of the first and third
worlds. Paying off officials to look the other way, workers smuggle
contraband across the border, sometimes crossing up to 11 times a day.
In a now common scenario, Moroccan woman work in North Africa to
produce goods destined for the European market, even as domestics
commute into a Spanish enclave in Moroccan territory. A videotape by
Ursula Biemann and Angela Sanders. c2003. 20 min. Women Make Movies

Out They Go; One-way ticket to Ghana
    Peter Ekwiri, a Ugandan, is only one of many people whose applications
for asylum in the E.U. have been denied. And like many other blacks
from Africa considered "undesirable" by European governments such as
Sweden and Germany, he was forcibly deported, but not to his home
country. This program uses Ekwiri's case as a springboard to reveal a
corrupt system in which E.U. police and immigration authorities
clandestinely pay Ghana to act as a transfer point, in reality a
dumping ground, for black deportees. And life in Ghana usually means
years of imprisonment and an obscure death. The program also
investigates other similar cases while exploring the statistical
implications of European racial bias against black Africans.  2001. 59
min.
Films Media Group.

The People Next Door
    Chinese, Arabs, Jews, Algerians, Tunisians, Africans, and French live
together in the Belleville neighborhood of Paris. Traditionally a
melting pot of all races, this piece examines the nuances of racism,
spoken and not, in a community that exists by circumstances, not
choice. A Film by Patrick Zachmann. 10 min.
(used to be distributed by Icarus, but may be O.D.)

Feature films:

Code inconnu: Récit incomplet de divers voyages (Code Unknown: Incomplete
Yales of Several Journeys)(France / Germany / Romania, 2000)
    Director, Michael Haneke. Cast: Juliette Binoche, Thierry Neuvic, Ona
Lu Yenke, Sepp Bierbichler, Arsinee Khanjian. On a bustling Paris
street corner four separate livesintersect, interweaving the stories
of a promising actress, her photojournalist boyfriend, a teacher of
African descent and a Romanian illegal immigrant in this portrait of
life in a fractured, lonely world. 113 min.

Exiles (France / Japan, 2004)
    Directed by Tony Gatlif. Cast: Romain Duris, Lubna Azabal, Leila
Makhlouf, Zouhir Gacem, Habib Cheikh. A young couple, both of Arabic
descent, leave Paris with no money, jobs, or connections, and travel
to their ancestral home of Algeria. In search of re-connecting to
their roots, they cross three countries by foot, bus, train, and
hitched rides. 104 min.

Le Gone du Chaaba (France, 1997)
    Director, Christophe Ruggia. Cast: Bouzid Negnoug, Mohamed Fellag,
Nabil Ghalem. Set in 1956 France in a city slum outside of Lyons, a
poor Algerian father wants his son to be the best in school, although
the boy is not very gifted. 105 min.

Inch'Allah Dimanche (Algeria, France, 2001)
    Director, Yamina Benguigui. Film about the "family reunion," the
French government's euphemism for a 1974 law allowing Algerian wives
to rejoin their husbands working in France. Strong-willed Zouina parts
tearfully from her mother in the port of Algiers; once in France, she
and her three small children are at the mercy of her mother-in-law and
confused by the strange customs of their local grocer and
garden-obsessed neighbor. The radio is her only window on life and on
the women of this new country. 98 min.

A Little Bit of Freedom (Kleine Freiheit) (Germany, 2003)
    Director, Yüksel Yavuz. Cast: Cagdas Bozkurt, Leroy Delmar, Nazmi
Kirik, Necmettin Cobanoglu, Naci Ozarslan, Susanna Rozkosny, Sunay
Girisken, Thomas Ebermann. Baran, a Kurdish teen from Turkey, makes
bicycle deliveries for a kebab shop while trying to outwit the
authorities who have refused him political asylum. He strikes up a
friendship with another outsider, an illegal African immigrant who
deals drugs to get by. Trouble begins after Baran loses his low
profile status because the kebab-stand owner's daughter sets her
sights on him. 97 min.

Made in France (Origine Contrôlée) (France, 2001)
    Directed by Ahmed Bouchaala and Zakia Tahri. Cast: Patrick Ligardes,
Ronit Elkabets, Isabelle Sadoyan, Atmen Kelif. Fancy Patrick is
arrested by mistake and finds himself in a cell with Samia, an
attractive Algerian, and Youssef, a cantankerous show off. All three
are condemned to deportation. During their transfer to the airport,
they manage to escape. When they are on the run the trio discover a
taste for the unusual and learn to understand and love each other.

100% Arabica (Cent pour cent Arabica; One hundred percent Arabica) (France
/ Belgium / Switzerland, 1997)
    Director, Mahmoud Zemmouri. Cast: Khaled, Cheb Mami, Mouss, Najim
Laouriga, Fard Fedjer, Youssef Diawara, Patrice Thibaud, Mohamed
Camara. The rising popularity of a local band threatens orthodox
religious groups in a mixed Arab and African housing project outside
Paris. Attendance at the mosque falls and drastic measures are taken
to keep the balance of power in the hands of the religious leaders. No
one can stop the infectious popularity of the music, however, and when
all the musicians finally sing together, everyone is united. 85 min.

Otomo (Germany, 1999)
    Directed by Frieder Schlaich. Cast: Isaach De Bankole, Eva Mattes,
Hanno Friedrich, Barnaby Metschurat, Lara Kugler, Sigrid Burkholder. A
fictionalized reconstruction of the story of Frederic Otomo, a West
African political refugee, who is stopped on a subway by an intolerant
conductor. He panics, breaks loose, and escapes. Hours later, when
confronted by police, he stabs 5 officers before being gunned down by
one of them. 84 min.

Outside the Law (France | Algeria | Belgium | Tunisia | Italy, 2010)
    Directed by Rachid Bouchareb. Cast: Jamel Debbouze, Sami Bouajila,
Roschdy Zem, Chafia Boudraa, Bernard Blancan. After losing their
family home in Algeria, three brothers and their mother are scattered
across the globe. Messaoud joins the French army fighting in
Indochina; Abdelkader becomes a leader of the Algerian independence
movement in France and Said moves to Paris to make his fortune in the
shady clubs and boxing halls of Pigalle. Gradually, their
interconnecting destinies reunite them in the French capital. Special
features (subtitled in English): Making of; deleted scenes; original
teaser trailer; trailer; interview with director Rachid Bouchareb;
cast interviews with Laurent Weil. 139 min.

Salut cousin! (France | Algeria | Belgium | Luxembourg, 2000)
    Director, Merzak Allouache. Cast: Gad Elmaleh, Mess Hattou, Magaly
Berdy, Ann-Gisel Glass. Alilo arrives in Paris, met by his hip cousin
Mok. Alilo is to pick up a suitcase of dresses to smuggle back to
Algiers for resale. He's lost the dressmaker's address and his boss is
gone for five days, so he stays in the Moskova neighborhood of the
18th arrondissement with Mok. Mok makes rap music of Jean de La
Fontaine's fables, invents fabrications of his own, is in debt to his
bookie, and in love with a punk rocker. Alilo's old-country sweetness,
in contrast with Mok's big-city neuroses, gets the attention of
Fatoumata, a lovely African neighbor. Once Alilo gets the dresses, he
must return to Algiers, but it seems he's only started to live: is
there any way he can stay? 98 min.

Fear Eats the Soul (Angst Essen Seele Auf)(West Germany, 1974)
    Directed by Rainer Fassbinder. Cast: Brigitte Mira, El Hedi Ben Salem,
Barbara Valentin, Irm Hermann, Elma Karlowa, Anita Bucher, Gusti
Kreissl, Doris Mattes, Margit Symo. A Moroccan immigrant in Munich
comes up against social and racial prejudice when he marries a
sixty-year-old charwoman. 94 min.

> Dear Collective Brain,
>
> Here's today's nebulous search request:
>
> Films on the 'African diaspora in Europe'.
>
> Ready...  set...  brainstorm!!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> *************************
> Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.