Wow, Oksana, that was wonderful. Does that make you Constance Talmadge and
Gary, John Gilbert?

Dennis

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Oksana Dykyj <oks...@alcor.concordia.ca>wrote:

> Dear Gary,
>
> It wasn't until early this morning that it hit me
> and then all the analogies began streaming in.
> Your timing for "retirement" does comes at the
> end of an era/beginning of a new one. The main
> analogy is that for people like you and I, who
> grew up during the analog era, the last 15-20
> years have been essentially comparable to the
> first 15-20 years of the advent of moving images.
> I'm equating the birth of film to the birth of
> the internet. The internet arrived, access to
> information was at the tips of one's typing
> fingers and a new system for the distribution of
> all kinds of information was available to
> everyone (more or less). In 1895 after several
> years of experimentation, motion pictures were
> being shown in many parts of the world and
> provided access to worlds beyond anyone's
> imagination. In 1995, we were making decisions
> about whether we liked Mosaic or Netscape better
> as browsers. I liked Mosaic (but then I liked
> betamax over VHS). Roughly 17 years later, around
> 1912, motion pictures came into their own and
> serious feature-length films were becoming
> standard fare, attached to film directors whose
> development of film style left a lasting mark. In
> 2012, content distribution is taking a serious
> turn to streaming and leaving its mark about how
> we think about owning digital files of images -
> moving or still, and sounds - music or spoken
> content. Content itself is becoming more
> physically intangible. We can personally own
> books, films, music, but they do not reside on
> shelves, rather they reside somewhere Out There
> and we need devices to access them and to pay to
> "store" them. So, you are leaving us at a time
> where we have crossed the threshold to the next phase of technology.
>
> I remember when I first met you in person, as
> opposed to online. It was in Austin in 1995 at
> the Summer Institute at U of T at Austin
> entitled, Video, CD-ROM and Beyond. I remember
> giving a paper about film preservation and making
> some off the cuff remark about video on demand.
> Be careful what you wish for, I guess. Here we
> are with access to more things than we thought
> were even possible 17 years ago.
>
> Now about you and what you have done for us: I
> started my career at a time when correspondence
> meant writing memos and letters. Retrieving one's
> phone messages meant rewinding the audio-cassette
> on the answering machine attached to one's analog
> phone (and prior to that, calling into one's
> answering service and talking to someone who gave
> you your messages). Then modems and clunky e-mail
> and the internet arrived. And then Gary gave us
> videolib and a new way of professional
> communication. In the old days the easiest way to
> find a distributor for a film was to contact
> someone who might know. Information was passed
> along verbally by those who knew or who knew
> someone who would know. Many reference books
> tended to be out of date by the time they were
> [...]

Best regards,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: 201-767-3117
Fax: 201-767-3035
email: milefi...@gmail.com
www.milestonefilms.com
www.comebackafrica.com
www.yougottomove.com
www.ontheboweryfilm.com
www.arayafilm.com
www.exilesfilm.com
www.wordisoutmovie.com
www.killerofsheep.com
<http://www.killerofsheep.com>
Join "Milestone Film" on Facebook and Twitter!
and the
Association of Moving Image Archivists <http://www.amianet.org>!

Follow Milestone on Twitter! <http://twitter.com/#!/MilestoneFilms>