I wish Judy et al had vetted this survey via this list--one would assume a
prime target.  I'll admit to a rapidly failing memory, but I don't recall
being asked to take this survey...

The answers you get in a survey such as this MUST be assessed in light of
who's doing the responding (i.e. the defined "community").  Given the
rather insane and continuing paucity of professionals devoted either in
significant part or whole to overseeing media collection development and
management in academic libraries, and given the likely cloudy or
incomplete understanding of current market and legal issues by those not
directly involved in the practice, I think you gotta take such results
with several grains of salt.  Using community practice as the basis of
best practice when the community surveyed is largely clueless ain't a
particularly good way to go.

Gary

Director
Media Resources Center