Dear Colleagues,
The Fair Use and Video Project has posted online its document titled "Community
Practices in the Fair Use of Video in Libraries,"
http://pages.shanti.virginia.edu/Fair_Use_and_Video/.
For an introduction to the document, please see Carrie's Russell's blog post on
ALA'S District Dispatch at
http://www.districtdispatch.org/2012/04/introducing-community-practices-in-the-fair-use-of-video-in-libraries/
 .
To those of you who contributed your time and effort to answer our surveys,
attend our focus groups, or comment on our drafts, we offer you our sincere
thanks.
This project began as an attempt by the Video Roundtable to establish a
recommended body of practice in the fair use of video for educational purposes.
A team of six librarians, with advice and guidance from ALA’s Office of
Information Technology Policy, coordinated the process of gathering input from
the media librarian community and then created a document describing our
findings. We decided to focus on documenting our community practices, i.e. how
librarians routinely and responsibly fulfill their mission to preserve and
provide access to our cultural record.    The team conducted in-person
interviews at national conferences and hosted a series of focus groups at
locations across the country: Boston, Seattle, Evanston, Washington, D.C. and
Richmond.  About eighty library staff members with varying responsibilities for
buying, processing, and/or supporting the educational use of video were
included in our surveys.
We welcome your comments and suggestions!   This is a living document and your
comments may prompt revisions.   If you'd like to leave a comment, please use
the Comments link on the right.  Please do let me know if you have any problems
accessing or using the site.
 http://pages.shanti.virginia.edu/Fair_Use_and_Video/

Best regards,

Judy Thomas, University of Virginia

for the Fair Use and Video Working Group:
Steve Brantley, University of Illinois at Chicago
Nell Chenault, Virginia Commonwealth University
Carleton Jackson, University of Maryland
Carrie Russell, American Library Association, Office for Information Technology
Policy
Claire Stewart, Northwestern University
Judith Thomas, University of Virginia
Justin Wadland, University of Washington-Tacoma

Judith Thomas
Director, Arts and Media Services
University of Virginia Library
434.924.8814   /     jtho...@virginia.edu<mailto:jtho...@virginia.edu>