As noted in another thread, you don't need to process those files if
you capture them with Quicktime 7. The most recent issue of MacLife
explains how to use Quicktime as a movie editor – so you don't have to
spend time processing the movies through iMovie. For conversion to the
correct format, try to find VisualHub – which, for my money, is the
best video converter program out there.  But MPEG Streamclip and
ElGato also work.

Invest in a Canopus Firewire capture device ($200) if you are really
serious about doing this.

As a professional archivist with a digitization business that works
round the clock digitizing magnetic tapes, I speak from experience.

Rob Hoffman
Priceless Photo Preservation
Ann Arbor, MI
734-219-3916
htttp://wwwPricelessPhotoPreservation.com