From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu [videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu]
On Behalf Of Reichert, Allen [preich...@otterbein.edu]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:49 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] International films on science, race,   and power-any
suggestions

Oh that's right- I had forgotten about Sleep Dealer- that is a good suggestion.

Thanks,
Allen Reichert
Electronic Access Librarian
Otterbein University

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Deg Farrelly
<deg.farre...@asu.edu<mailto:deg.farre...@asu.edu>> wrote:
Allen

I personally love the film "Sleep Dealer".  It sounds like it touches on
all three topics.

Here is the description from Amazon:

The place: Mexico. The time: The near future. Memo Cruz has always
dreamed of leaving his tiny village and heading north to a big city
where he can work in a modern, high-tech factory. Finally, his dream
becomes a reality...and his reality becomes a nightmare! Memo finds
himself in a terrifyingly bizarre world of border walls, shanty towns,
high-tech factories, remote control drones and aqua-terrorists a world
of tomorrow that will soon be today! Winner of two prestigious awards at
 the Sundance Film Festival, and nominated for both the Gotham Awards
and Independent Spirit Awards, this groundbreaking film has been praised
 by critics and audiences alike.

-deg

deg farrelly, Media Librarian
Arizona State University Libraries
Hayden Library C1H1
P.O. Box 871006
Tempe, Arizona  85287-1006
Phone:  602.332.3103<tel:602.332.3103>

On 8/28/12 8:24 AM,
"videolib-requ...@lists.berkeley.edu<mailto:videolib-requ...@lists.berkeley.edu>"
 wrote:

>Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:24:33 -0400
>From: "Reichert, Allen"
><preich...@otterbein.edu<mailto:preich...@otterbein.edu>>
>Subject: [Videolib] International films on science, race,      and power-
>       any suggestions
>

>Hello everyone,
>
>My institution runs a Films without Borders series, and this year we are
>looking for an international film or films that deal with the combined
>topic of race, science, and power.
>
>I can come up with US films that would work, such as Miss Evers' Boys or
>District 9.

<snip>