Forwarding with permission from Marisa; sorry for duplication.  Best, Cathy

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marisa L. Ramirez <mrami...@calpoly.edu>
Date: Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Subject: [SCHOLCOMM] RSC Policy Brief that Hollywood Hated: Three Myths
about Copyright Law and Where to Start to Fix it
To: ScholComm <scholc...@ala.org>

Did anyone see this? Very interesting interaction on copyright between the
Republican Study Committee and Hollywood (MPAA and RIAA):

Exerpt from Tech Dirt:
On Nov 16th, we reported on how the Republican Study Committee (the
conservative caucus of House Republicans) had put out a surprisingly
awesome report about copyright reform. You can read that post to see the
details. The report had been fully vetted and reviewed by the RSC before it
was released. However, as soon as it was published, the MPAA and RIAA
apparently went ballistic and hit the phones hard, demanding that the RSC
take down the report. They succeeded.
Full story:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121117/16492521084/hollywood-lobbyists-have-busy-saturday-convince-gop-to-retract-copyright-reform-brief.shtml

The RSC Policy Brief that was retracted hours after it was posted:
"Three Myths about Copyright Law and Where to Start to Fix it"
http://www.hyperorg.com/misc/rsc_policy_brief_--_three_myths_about_copyright_law_and_where_to_start_to_fix_it_--_november_16_2012.pdf

HT to Michele Wyngard for bringing this to my attention. :)

Best,
Marisa

Marisa Ramirez
Digital Scholarship Services Librarian