I'm having a "What the...?" reaction to this. I'm all for saving money, but if
the only consideration is "is it available online for free?" this is incredibly
shortsighted.
Sometimes you only need onetime access so these options might be just fine, but
what about films that will be used for years?

Hulu changes content constantly and includes advertising. Netflix streaming and
Amazon instant video offerings also change frequently nor are they free.
Many things get posted to YouTube that aren't supposed to be there. Sure you
can watch that documentary on Snagfilms - if you don't mind a lot of
advertising.
There is some good material on stable platforms (PBS, Annenberg, etc) but those
can change too.

Looking at whether to purchase a streaming license rather than the DVD is
important, but licensed streaming is very different than "can we find it on
YouTube?"

Comparing to journal databases -- ERIC documents are (were) freely available
from http://eric.ed.gov, but we pay for the added value of the indexing from
EBSCO and ProQuest.

p.s. Since you're in Charleston, plan to attend the National Media Market when
it's held there in November. http://www.nmm.net/

Barb Bergman | Media Services & Interlibrary Loan Librarian | Minnesota State
University, Mankato | (507) 389-5945 | barbara.berg...@mnsu.edu