The solution reached in collaboration with the patron and our Disability
Services Resources office combines increased access with a live
interpreter.

I have ordered duplicate copies of the needed films; almost all titles are
frequently assigned for multiple classes, so this purchase will prove
useful in future semesters.  We will then use our booking module to ensure
that the duplicate copies are available for the student to borrow for a
significantly increased loan period--two weeks vs. the standard four-hour
reserve checkout.

Disability Services will locate an assistant--either from the class in
question or from our College of Social Work--to view the films with the
visually impaired student, to describe the action and answer questions
about context, etc.  As Darby hoped, Disability Services will offer a
stipend to the assistant.

Thank you to those who responded,
Brian.