They could be interpreting that the newscast is the whole unit, and each
segment in the newscast is in essence a chapter.  I have not seen how they are
offering this but if you look at it this way, and perform a search, you would
not get the whole newsbroadcast but a portion and thus have section 3 also
somewhat in their favor.
just my inflation adjuested $0.02 on the matter.
regards
jhs

John H. Streepy

Library-Government Publications
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA  98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/Documents

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

Transitus profusum est nocens!

>>> "Shoaf,Judith P" <jsh...@ufl.edu> 3/11/2013 9:29 AM >>>
. Are newscasts somehow less protected than other copyrighted works? Neither
the UCLA or Internet Archive site say anything about agreements with the news
networks.

Chris Lewis
***************

Yes, newscasts are less protected than other copyrighted works. Creative works
have more protection than statements of fact (or even purported statements of
fact). This is the second of the 4 factors for fair use.

    the purpose and character of your use
    the nature of the copyrighted work
    the amount and substantiality of the portion taken, and
    the effect of the use upon the potential market.

UCLA has factor 1 in its favor (educational), factor 2 somewhat in its favor,
factor 4 in its favor (there is, so far as I know, no market whatsoever for old
newscasts). I guess they felt that they could go for broke on the third factor.

Also, if this provides text searches it adds a new functionality
("transformative platform")  to the originals, and the HathiTrust case (where a
judge approved of posting the results of searches of as much digital text as
the universities could manage, irrespective of factor 2) would support that.

Judy Shoaf