Dear Gene,

Third World Newsreel distributes a short documentary about a former gang
member who is now the Executive Director of a youth services organization.

EXCUSE MY GANGSTA WAYS by Corinne Manabat
We all go through transitions in life, whether it's a career change, or
moving, but for Davina Wan, hers has been very extreme - from the gang life
to a "normal" life. EXCUSE MY GANGSTA WAYS is a documentary portrait on
Davina Wan, a Chinese American woman, who was a former gang member from the
1990s Lower East Side. With interviews from her grandmother and godfather,
this short film takes a look at the person she was and the person she has
become, where fate and inspiration endure.

Reviews
*"Instructors examining girls' violence in a contemporary U.S. context may
consider screening the short documentary EXCUSE MY GANGSTA WAYS. "*
- Laurie Schaffner, Films for the Feminist Classroom Journal

*From child immigrant to urban gangster, Davina Wan's adolescence resembles
few others. This intimate portrait reveals her quest to turn her life
around.*
- San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival

*An extraordinary look at Davina Wan’s intense and troubled youth of drugs,
crime and family dysfunction, and her eventual transformation. There’s a
lot of pain in this incredible young woman’s world, and the whole audience
was moved by her journey.*
- Ravi Chandra, SFIAAFF Blog

*One of the best short films I've seen in a while, because it tells a
surprising story about Davina Wan and her past life. Definitely worth
watching.*
- Hyphen Magazine Blog

Film Festivals
Association for Asian Studies Annual Meeting, 2009
African American Women in Cinema Film Festival, New York, 2008
Documentary Fortnight, Museum of Modern Art, New York, 2009
San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival, 2009

*http://www.twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=1195&card=price*

Sincerely,
Roselly

Roselly A. Torres Rojas