Dear Nahum,

Rhode Island may be a little state but we do have more than one institution of
higher education. Granted, they all have similar names. I work at the Community
College of Rhode Island (CCRI). The University of Rhode Island (URI) was the
library that received the large donation of films from RIIFF (Rhode Island
International Film Festival). While URI may have received your two films in
that donation, I can tell you they do not appear in the library's catalog, and
are probably not available for borrowing or showing publicly.

You say your slogan is "I trust you, trust me", but apparently you don't really
mean it, if you spend time checking up on who has a copy of your films via
WorldCat. Perhaps, like Reagan, your motto is really "Trust but verify"?

You ask a good question about the transfer of the PPR. If one library has
bought a film from you, with PPR, and then withdraws that film from its
collection and transfers it to another library -- this could happen in a
library consortium, for example -- do the performance rights transfer, too?
They have been paid for, haven't they? I don't know the answer to this, I'm
just speculating. Perhaps it would be necessary to state in the sales agreement
that the PPR are not transferable?

Furthermore, you say, "... on every private sale invoice is stated for "private
personal Home Use".  So selling or donating to a library is a break of
trust...". Here at CCRI (and, no doubt, other libraries), we have a few
thousand films on DVD and VHS, both feature films and documentaries. We lend
them, including the ones that have been donated,  "for private personal Home
Use".  We do not lend them to movie theatres, or to student groups for parties.
If someone wants to borrow one of our films to show to publicly, we advise them
about securing performance rights.  I'm not sure I understand your belief that
libraries are lending out their films for public performance.

Surely, if you want to make sure your preview films aren't donated to libraries
(or private persons) after a film festival, all you have to do is request that
the films in question be returned to you after the festival?

Dusty Haller

Dorcas Haller
Librarian/Professor/Department Chair
Community College of Rhode Island Library
One Hilton Street, Providence, RI 02905
dhal...@ccri.edu
Phone: 401-455-6085
Fax: 401-455-6087