Lorraine,

Depending on WHICH feature films are on the faculty member's list, she might be
able to utilize Swank's Digital Campus.  These are feature film streams
designed specifically for classroom and/or class-related use, so the prof can
screen them in class, or links to the streams can be mounted through
Blackboard, Moodle or whatever CMS you use, to restrict access to students
registered in the course(s).  We've done this for a couple of years now.  Swank
offers pricing based upon the number of films you'll be using, as well as upon
the duration of access (semester, full-year) you need.  They host the streams,
so you don't need to worry about an on-site server.

There are some studios unavailable through Swank, and the occasional filmmaker
whose works are "problematic" and not offered, but their catalog has something
like 30,000 titles.  So sometimes a prof may need to be a bit flexible re:
partial online availability, partial "traditional" DVD or course reserve
availability.  For instance, we had no problem getting a prof's requested Billy
Wilder films, but we couldn't get the Kurosawas he wanted.  Same problem
(unsurprisingly) with Chaplins.  But the majority of what has been requested,
Swank offers.

Jessica is right, too, of course - and I know that many profs simply require
their students to get a Netflix, Amazon, Hulu or whatever account so that they
can watch the required films via their own accounts.

Susan Albrecht
Library Acquisitions Manager
Wabash College Lilly Library
765-361-6216
765-361-6295 fax
albre...@wabash.edu
www.facebook.com/wabashcollegelibrary.films
http://pinterest.com/wabashcolllib/

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." --Neil Peart