The problem is that " clear pedological reason for streaming an entire
film" is pretty much an open invitation to do stream anything that a
professor wants the students watch.. Of course there is a reason to use the
whole film and not just a portion. Professors often want their students to
see entire films and lots of them depending on the course but they don't
want to "waste" class time with the showings and they also often don't want
their students to have to watch them in the library or check them out from
reserve. That wording is pretty much meaningless in my view since it pretty
easy to correctly claim you need the whole film for a course, the key
question is does that qualify for "fair use" and again Mr. Butler and ARL (
sorry about that but as you will see from link  I screwed  up taking that
from the session header and ironically originally had ARL and went  back
and changed all of them) say that it is under what I consider to be the
totally incorrect theory that merely using material that was produced for
the general public in a class is "transformative" because taken to its
logical conclusion it would cover any work not produced for the educational
market and would also invalidate decades of copyright law and cases up to
and including Georgia State ( which is of course on appeal) which
librarians considered a huge victory but which made it very clear that only
portions of a larger work could qualify as "fair use"  which has pretty
much been the standard. I have asked for ANY example where it would be
legal to stream an entire film without a license. Mr. Butler thinks any
class use would make it legal but I have not heard of any other example. I
could think of some but  they would not specifically involve educational
use. In theory one could take Citizen Kane, dub the entire track with say
odd political commentary and cut in some scenes of say Fox News and though
I am sure WB would throw a fit, the satire exemption could certainly be
legitimately argued. Again it was very clear to me that Mr. Butler ( as
well as others you can guess) are claiming that other than being used in a
class and limited to enrolled students, feature films can be streamed in
their entirety under the "entertainment is now educational theory" without
license or payment to rights holders. If I somehow misunderstood or this is
not the belief of ARL surely they can say so and provide SOME explanation
of what would constitute clear pedagogical reason  for being able to steam
complete films.

I know I sound a bit deranged on this but I routinely get emails from
librarians begging for help because their administration is telling them to
stream whole films and they do not have to license it. Likewise I get info
from filmmakers and professors about wholesale streaming of feature films
at colleges I really, really do appreciate the majority of libertarians and
institutions who do the right thing and I also understand how frustrating
it is that so many films either can not be licensed or the rights holder
wants an insane amount of money.

Here is the link to session, most of which was interesting and informative
about legitimate "fair use" but there was a general consensus of "don't
worry you won't get caught even if it is not "fair use" and if you do it
won't cost you anything" which I thought was kind of arrogant for libraries

Here is link to session and I know there was at least one other videolib
person there if they want to chime in. This streaming films and books
issue/questions came up at the end.

http://ala13.ala.org/node/10062

Again I am sincerely grateful to those who legally license/ buy material
which I believe includes almost everyone on this list. On my end I work
hard to get filmmakers I represent to understand that things have changed
and they need to be willing to let go and if needed sell their works in
perpetuity instead of expecting more sales if formats change and they can't
charge institutions more than individuals for the same use ( excluding
streaming , PPR of course but then most of them only sell to the
educational market.

We are all in this together.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Simpkins, Terry W. <tsimp...@middlebury.edu