From: Rob Hoffman <archiving...@gmail.com>
To: videolib <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>; JTidal <jti...@citytech.cuny.edu>
Sent: Fri, Oct 25, 2013 3:25 pm
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Disposing of reel to reel films

Please: Don't.

As a professional archivist whose business involves digitizing and preserving
films, that's my simple one word of advice.

Film, if stored properly, will outlast all other forms of media. And as an
analog material, it is impervious to technological obsolescence. You don't need
a computer to view them, just a projector -- or a lamp or the sun, worst comes
to worst.'

We deal constantly with clients who converted their film years ago to VHS – and
threw the films out. Now, they are really sorry they did.

If you seriously no longer are interested in them, consider donating them to
another collector or even a business that specializes in film storage like
preservingtheopast.com.

Best,

Rob Hoffman
Priceless Photo Preservation