I am a little confused since I honestly don't watch stuff online but if I
understand this correctly the patron is watching an illegal copy from an
illegal source. I think it is aggregator who is trying to skirt the law by
saying they don't actually "host" the title but the person who watches it
is actually going to illegal link so again if I am understanding this has
even less of a legal defense than the linking site. I think the short
answer would be there is no legal way to watch an illegal copy. If you
watch say a copy of popular Hollywood film in theaters online there is
basically no way it is legal. I use this as the most obvious example and
the one most likely to get you in trouble.

Realistically this happens possibly millions of times a day but I don't
understand why the patron would think it was legal.

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Patricia Ruocco
<ruoc...@lislelibrary.org>wrote:

>  Hello,
>

>  A patron just asked a very interesting question: is it piracy or a
> copyright issue if he watches free movies on a website that aggregates the
> movies from other sources. The following is from the site he's been using
> to watch movies, Megavideo.
>

>  "
>
> The content is hosted on other sites such as Veoh.com, putlocker.com,
> Youtube.com and other popular video hosts. This website links to these
> websites either directly or by an embed code. This site doesn't host any
> content on it own server and just linking to content that was uploaded to
> popular Online Video hosting sites like dailymotion.com, sockshare.com,
> ZShare.net, nowvideo.eu, vureel.com, imdb.com and such sites.
> megavidmovie.com is not responsible for what other people upload to 3rd
> party sites. We urge all copyright owners, to recognize that the links
> contained within this site are located somewhere else on the web."
>
> Read More: http://www.megavidmovie.net/p/disclaimer_19.html#ixzz2rLbtI8gn
> Follow us: @megavidmovie on
> Twitter<http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=ctmx10ZM8r4y2pacwqm_6r&u=megavidmovie>|
> megavidmovie
> on Facebook<http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=ctmx10ZM8r4y2pacwqm_6r&u=megavidmovie>
>

>  I honestly don't know what to tell him. I'm not sure who could give him
> a correct, legal answer, but I thought I'd try asking this group.
>

>  Thanks!
>
> Patricia
>

> *Patricia Ruocco *
> Adult Services Librarian
>  Lisle Library District
> 777 Front Street | Lisle, IL 60532
> p: 630-971-1675 ext. 1503
> lislelibrary.org <http://www.lislelibrary.org>
> facebook <https://www.facebook.com/lislelibrarydistrict> |
> twitter<https://twitter.com/lislelibrary>|
> pinterest <http://www.pinterest.com/lislelibrary/>
>
> Love Mysteries & Movies? - Check out the *Murder Among Friends
> <http://murderamongfriends.wordpress.com> *& *Just Between Frames
> <http://justbetweenframes.wordpress.com>*
> blogs!<http://frontstreetteens.wordpress.com/>

Jessica Rosner