P.O. Box 871006
Tempe, Arizona  85287-1006
Phone:  602.332.3103

On 1/23/14 12:38 PM, "videolib-requ...@lists.berkeley.edu"
<videolib-requ...@lists.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>Hi All:
>
>I was wondering what some of you have done when you have a documentary
>film in your collection that becomes damaged due to scratches or
>unidentified gunk  or what preventative measures you?ve chosen. Recently
>one of our dvds stopped while in use by a faculty member during a class.
>
>Any suggestions/input to any of the following questions will be
>appreciated:
>
>Do you have a machine in the library for resurfacing? I would love to
>hear suggestions for equipment.

YES, Azurdisc

>Do you use anything else in-house that works well with regard to
>scratches?

NO

>Or do you send it out? If you do send it out would you mind mentioning a
>vendor who you?ve had a good relationship with.

NO

>Do you burn a copy of the dvd as backup when you first receive it to
>prevent it from being unavailable if the dvd does stop working.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!  Clear violation of copyright!

>Do you review a dvd that you receive in order to determine whether it is
>free from scratches, defects, etc. by playing it as well as by reviewing
>the disc itself?

No.  We only examine a disc if there is a complaint that it does not work.

>Do you ask whoever is staffing the circulation desk to check for
>scratches when a dvd is returned? And, if so, when do you determine as to
>whether there has been permanent damage (this probably is not done at the
>point of return)?

NO, but if a borrower notes a problem with a disc it is sent to our
Preservation unit for inspection / polishing, etc.  ONLY if it is
determined to be irreparable is it then sent to me to determine the need
for a replacement copy purchase, and availability.

IF a title were determined to be unavailable for purchase we would invoke
Section 108 provisions to make a copy, borrowing a playable disc to do so.
 This has not occurred with DVDs (yet)