Hi all,

My library recently received a large donation of early studio films on VHS
format. The majority were official releases, but I have two hanging out that
came from one of those rare/vintage mail order video companies. The quality is
not so hot - they look like low end telecine transfers.   I don't know the
copyright renewal status of either film, so I don't know if these are Public
Domain or not.   I haven't been able to find copies for sale on Amazon, with a
quick Google search or listed in Worldcat - if these are legal PD copies and
super rare I'd like to keep them, despite the kind of crappy quality.  Does
anyone have any info on the PD status of these particular titles or other
resources I could consult? Should I assume that most majors studios renewed
copyright on all their pre-1968 films or was it more case by case than that?

*         Pointed Heels (1929), William Powell, Helen Kane; Paramount
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020278/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

*         Happy Days (1930), Janet Gaynor, Charles Farrell; Fox Film Corp
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020949/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_7

Thanks!
Kim

Kim Stanton