From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jodi Hoover
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 11:09 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Dance In Video from Alexander Street

Hello all-
I am hoping to take advantage of group knowledge to solve a problem we are
having with our Dance in Video database.  We have only recently subscribed this
database and it is our only Alexander Street resource.
Pretty early on I had faculty complaints about streaming quality.  When I
tested I noticed significant issues with framing dropping (lots of skipping)
and almost every time I tested sooner or later it would switch to a loading
screen where it hangs for anywhere from 3-5 minutes.  Occasionally playback
never resumes.
We've tested on a variety of systems (Mac, PC, Linux) and browsers both on and
off campus. All with very similar results.   Speed tests from ASP indicate that
we do not have a bandwidth problem nor do we have an issue with streaming
databases from other vendors.  Our campus IT department says they do not
throttle streaming content and do not think the issue lies with them. ASP
technical service has been responsive but we are stuck in the "we cannot
replicate your problem" loop.
So on the off chance that others have experienced this issue and have found a
solution, I decided to throw this out to the group.  I am open to ideas and
would just really love to getting this working for us.
Feel free to reply off list and thank you!
Jodi

Jodi Hoover
Digital Media Librarian
Albin O. Kuhn Library