The German site, Movie Pilot, has some information (synopsis, cast, etc) at:
http://www.moviepilot.de/movies/philharmoniker
You can use the translation bot to read it if your German isn't all that good.
Although it *appears* that German Amazon offers a streaming version the film,
this is not the case. Clicking on the link will take you to a streaming film of
philharmonic music, not the wanted film.

German Wikipedia (use the translator again) has an article on the film
(http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philharmoniker).  It also shows that the
production company was Tobis Films. Further searching on the German Wikipedia
site indicates that the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Foundation (Stiftung) took
over the Tobis holdings in 1966
(http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung). They might be
able to point you in the right direction for a copy of the film.

I would check with that student, though, to make sure s/he's serious about the
film before going to a lot of trouble to track it down. Perhaps s/he thinks
it's a film made by the *Dutch* director, Paul Verhoeven, who made "Robocop"
among other films.

Dusty Haller

Dorcas Haller
Librarian/Professor/Department Chair
Community College of Rhode Island Library
One Hilton Street, Providence, RI 02905
dhal...@ccri.edu<mailto:dhal...@ccri.edu>
Phone: 401-455-6085
Fax: 401-455-6087