I was reading your analysis and feeling very confused until I remembered that
this is a list for VIDEO.

For academic books (which the Georgia State case addresses), your comment is
just not true: "So doesn't it stand to reason that when considering fair use
for a work sold primarily to the education market, the economic impact should
be weighted more? That is what made the work available in the first place."

What makes academic books available is not the system of publishers and
presses, but rather the fact that writing such books is (a) subsidized by
universities and grants made to the writers, and (b) rewarded when the writers
get promotion for having published. So in fact the license to allow students to
read the work in question is the THIRD time the academic system has paid for
it. Professors almost never see any money from academic books of the kind in
question (unless it is actually a textbook which students can be asked to buy).
The publishing institutions make money, yes, but the work of creating and often
of editing is done for them for free by people who are supported by their
academic institutions because they do this kind of work. (My husband has just
finished editing, typesetting, indexing, and proofreading a book he wrote,
which will be published by a press whose sole contribution will be to tell him
how to format it and to advertise it, primarily by supplying copies to
reviewers who will write up discussions of it without of course being paid. And
of course the press will sell copies of it, and keep any profit. My husband did
however get a "merit" raise this year.)

I think the question may be whether the publishing industry is needed as a
means of routing academic work from academe to academe; since it depends for
its fodder 100% on the personnel of academic institutions, it needs to be
circumspect in challenging the need of the institutions to use its products.

I gather that the situation is different for educational video, where the
filmmakers apparently actually get some royalties from their products, and may
be working independently of the academy.

Judy Shoaf