As an addendum to your quote about the estimable man, I would like to pick
a bone about the word "virtually" as many grammarians do also with the
promiscuous use of the word "literally." There are still thousands of
products, including shampoos and cosmetics, that are tested on animals.
Appalling, enraging, head shaking, but true. Still true. In Wisconsin, as
we read, baby monkeys are torn from their mothers, to study the affects of
social deprivation and isolation, the same experiment done for over 1/2 a
century.
http://host.madison.com/news/local/health_med_fit/university-of-wisconsin-renews-controversial-maternal-deprivation-research-on-monkeys/article_993e9566-172f-11e4-9063-001a4bcf887a.html
Beagles are subjected to tobacco smoke, like we don't know that the effects
are. What takes place in laboratories these days is nauseating. The arms of
the Armed Services are the best though. Amputating goats without
anesthesia, to see what happens, for purported field training during war,
just the most perverted and heinous stuff imaginable. And all these are
happening, still, despite outcries from legions of people worldwide. Oh,
and never mind, it's been overwhelming affirmed that computer based
modeling for testing is superior to testing on animals, whose physiognomy
is not near enough ours to provide attestable conclusions. Geez, just for
giggles, watch this, but get your kleenex out, because you'll be in a
puddle at the end. You only need to suffer through the mandatory
commercial. US gvt. lab chimps, tested on their whole lives, finally
experiencing the outdoors, air, ground, sky, for the very first time, many
at over 50 years of age.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9926530/Laboratory-chimpanzees-see-sky-for-first-time.html
 There is similar footage for beagles, the most popular animal for many
animal testing, because they are so friendly and docile. It will make you
cry like a baby.

I appreciate Farhad's inquiry, because I a librarian, and I am also a
passionate lover of animals and am so acutely aware of how unprotected they
have been, and still remain, despite global and local efforts to make
changes. Most people are just ignorant, and don't know how abused animals
are. Ignorant or vain, or hubric (I think I am neologizing a  new word)
people don't know where fur comes from, how it's gotten, the suffering
animals go through, people don't know there are dog farms in China for fur
(look up raccoon dog), or dog meat, bear bile farms, dog fighting, let
alone the basic food chain and the mass agri-business industrial complex
(as mass and dense as Christie), the list of animal exploitations,
indignities and atrocities stretches around the planet, summarily countless
times. Thank you for bringing awareness to this, not a subject, but a
litany of related substrated subjects.

If you'd like to shop ethically, please consult the Leaping Bunny site
first. http://www.leapingbunny.org/indexcus.php  They will send you happily
a wallet-sized card that includes the names of companies that don't
brutalize giddily, sadistically and purposelessly animals for profit or
vanity, which makes it easy for when you're in the aisle.

Best Regards,

Elizabeth McMahon

Elizabeth