Hi Kelly -

1.      Do you have collection development/ or acquisitions about selecting
videos with closed captioning?  Is there even a choice?  I've never noticed
this myself, but I have not spent a lot of time ordering films myself.
In most cases, there is no choice. Cataloging will note whether or not the copy
received includes captions.  I've been surprised by not finding captions on
programs that aired on TV, and therefore should have had captions.
Subtitling is not the same as captioning, but most DVDs will have an English
subtitle option. Depending on student need, the subtitles may be sufficient.

2.      Do you transcribe films that do not have CC?

Yes, at request of Accessibility Services office. They do so based on course
syllabi that hearing-impaired students are registered for. Transcription is
done by Instructional Technology. Last I heard, they do a mix of in-house
transcription, but sometimes send out to have it done.

3.      If so, do you do it upon request or do you do it in advance?

No anticipatory captioning is done.

Many of the streaming video platforms (Kanopy, Alexander Street, etc) include
transcripts that can be read online while watching the streamed video.

Barb Bergman | Media Services & Interlibrary Loan Librarian | Minnesota State
University, Mankato | (507) 389-5945 |
barbara.berg...@mnsu.edu<mailto:barbara.berg...@mnsu.edu>