Dennis

Once again you have laid out clear and articulate statements from a film
distributor/preservationist point of view.

I appreciate your efforts, and welcome the intellectual challenge you
provide us all.

You have given me fresh food for thoughtÅ  and I am going to look closely
at the sections of the copyright law that you reference.

But in the meantime, I think it is imperative that we keep in mind that
when I (or librarians of my ilk) talk about Section 108 duplication (with
or without streaming in the mix) we are talking about titles that have
been legally acquired in the first place, and researched for replacement
without success.  Titles purchased for the express purpose of curricular
and research support.

I welcome filmmakers, restorers, preservationists to step forward and say
"We've restored this titleÅ "  I will happily purchase a clear, clean copy
to replace my cr@ppy VHS (Umatic? Laserdisc?) copy.  You already know the
extent to which I have supported commercial restoration.  (Not enough I
fear)

Recently I was all set to preserve my laserdisc copy of the 1936 version
of Show Boat, when I discovered that it had been re-released.  MUCH
happier to have the DVD than a dubbed copy.  More recently I noticed our
copy of This is the Army was lousy (and probably not a kosher copy to
begin with) So I ordered a new copy.

Librarians are NOT out to rip off publishers, as some would claim.  And in
the absence of a clear legal ruling on media duplication and streaming we
(some of us anyway) are going to continue to exercise the rights as we ahd
our legal counsels have interpreted the law.

Please give Walter a big hello from me, and express my appreciation of his
research and efforts.

-deg