I am sure it was not Warner that declined to renew. They are ten times more
aggressive and  committed to films on DVD then all other studios combined,
in fact they license hundreds if not thousands of films from other studios
and of course pioneered the concept of putting out cheap DVD-R editions of
great old fims that would not otherwise be available

Sadly many foreign rights ( OK I am going to say it, especially French
ones) often have inflated ideas of the value of their films particularly
DVD rights. To be fair there is also the very high cost of mastering new
materials for DVD/blu ray.While Criterion in particular does an amazing job
of getting and putting out really high quality foreign films there is only
so much they can do. There is kind of perfect storm at the moment of
drastically declining DVD/blu ray sales, vastly increased piracy, the high
cost of high quality materials, complicated rights issues that are
combining to make it harder and harder to put out tens fo thousands of
important films.