Jennifer,

Yes, canistream.it is flawed, and I'm hoping someone will respond to you
with the name of a better clearinghouse for rented, purchased, and
subscription streaming. Here at Hartwick, we've found Swank semester-long
customized packages a reasonable alternative, with funding provided--or at
least subsidized by--student fees analogous to a science class's lab fee. I
suppose there are also analogues in rented online textbooks and other
course materials. This requires substantial planning, with estimation of
class sizes, to provide notification of the fees to registering students,
but it's one way of dealing with it.

Best,

Paul

--
Paul Coleman, M.L.S. | College Librarian
Stevens-German Library | Hartwick College