From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Andrew Horbal
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 10:46 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] FW: [copyrightx-alumni] CopyrightX 2016 application is now
Live

Hi Videolib-ers,
Please find below a call for applications for this year’s CopyrightX course
from Harvard Law School and the Berkman Center for Internet & Society. Next to
law school, this is, for my money, the single best way to learn more about
copyright, a very popular subject on this listserv! And it’s completely free!
Please feel free to email me off list at
ahor...@umd.edu<mailto:ahor...@umd.edu>  if you have any questions about the
time commitment, level of difficulty, etc.—I completed the course last year,
and would be happy to tell you about my experience.
Andy Horbal
Media Resources Librarian
0300 Hornbake Library
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
(301) 405-9227
ahor...@umd.edu<mailto:ahor...@umd.edu>

______
The application for the CopyrightX online sections will be open from Oct. 19 -
Dec. 15. See CopyrightX:Sections<http://copyx.org/sections/> for details.

CopyrightX<http://copyx.org> is a networked course that explores the current
law of copyright; the impact of that law on art, entertainment, and industry;
and the ongoing debates concerning how the law should be reformed. Through a
combination of recorded lectures<http://copyx.org/lectures/>, assigned
readings<http://copyx.org/syllabus/syllabus-for-online-sections-2015/>, weekly
seminars, live interactive webcasts<http://copyx.org/events/>, and online
discussions, participants in the course examine and assess the ways in which
the copyright system seeks to stimulate and regulate creative expression.

In 2013, HarvardX, Harvard Law School, and the Berkman Center for Internet &
Society launched an experiment in distance education: CopyrightX, the first
free and open distance learning course on law. After three successful
offerings, CopyrightX is an experiment no longer. Under the leadership of
Professor William Fisher<http://tfisher.org/>, who created and directs the
course, CopyrightX will be offered for a fourth time from January to May 2016.

Three types of courses make up the CopyrightX Community:
•    a residential course<http://copyx.org/courses/harvard-law-school/> on
Copyright Law, taught by Prof. Fisher to approximately 100 Harvard Law School
students;
•    an online course<http://copyx.org/sections/> divided into sections of 25
students, each section taught by a Harvard Teaching Fellow;
•    a set of affiliated courses<http://copyx.org/affiliates/> based in
countries other than the United States, each taught by an expert in copyright
law.

Participation in the 2016 online sections is free and is open to anyone at
least 13 years of age, but enrollment is limited. Admission to the online
sections will be administered through an open application process that begins
on October 19, 2015, and ends on December 15, 2015. We welcome applicants from
all countries, as well as lawyers and non-lawyers alike. To request an
application, visit http://brk.mn/applycx16. For more details, see
CopyrightX:Sections<http://copyx.org/sections/>. (The criteria for admission to
each of the affiliated courses are set by the course’s instructor. Students who
will enroll in the affiliated courses may not apply to the online sections.)

We encourage widespread promotion of the application through personal and
professional networks and social media. Feel free to circulate:
•    this blog post<https://cyber.law.harvard.edu/node/99172>
•    the application page<http://brk.mn/applycx16>
•    The Berkman Center’s
Tweet<https://twitter.com/berkmancenter/status/656129951184236544>