Dear Videolib-ers,

I am very pleased to pass along a call for applications from the Institute for
Research Design in Librarianship. I was accepted into last year's IRDL with a
proposal about faculty use of and preferences for educational streaming video
resources. I learned more about designing and executing a research project in
the two weeks I spent in LA than I had previously in four years as a
professional librarian and two years of library school. Definitely please feel
free to email me off list if you have any questions about IRDL and/or if you
need any help preparing an application!

Apologies for cross-posting!

Andy Horbal
Head of Learning Commons
1101 McKeldin Library
7649 Library Ln.
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
(301) 405-9227
ahor...@umd.edu

* * *

"IRDL not only set me on the path to producing and properly documenting
original research, but it set me up with a network of like-minded Librarians
who will help me achieve my goals." - 2014 IRDL Scholar

We are issuing a call for applications for the Institute for Research Design in
Librarianship (IRDL) 2016. We are seeking novice librarian researchers who are
employed by academic libraries or research libraries outside an academic
setting in the United States to participate in the Institute. Novice
researchers typically may have conducted research but have not yet had a
peer-reviewed article published as the primary author or had an individual
presentation accepted by a peer-reviewed conference. We define "novice"
broadly; if you feel that you would benefit from being guided throughout the
entire research design process, we encourage your application. Librarians of
all levels of professional experience are welcome to apply.

The third workshop will be held on June 6-16, 2016, with arrival on campus on
Sunday, June 5, and departure on Friday, June 17.

The William H. Hannon Library has received a three-year grant from the
Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) to offer this continuing
education opportunity for academic and research librarians. Each year 21
librarians will receive, at no cost to them, instruction in research design and
a full year of peer/mentor support to complete a research project at their home
institutions; the learning experience, travel to and from Los Angeles, CA,
accommodations, and food will be supplied to Scholars free of charge. The
summer IRDL workshop is supplemented with pre-Institute learning activities and
a peer learning network that provides ongoing support. The workshop will be
held on the campus of Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, California.
For more information about the project, including the project partners, the San
José State University School of Information and the Statewide California
Electronic Library Consortium (SCELC), please see the project website:
http://irdlonline.org.

We seek librarians with a passion for research and a desire to improve their
research skills. IRDL is designed to bring together all that the literature
tells us about the necessary conditions for librarians to conduct valid and
reliable research in an institutional setting. The cohort will be chosen from a
selective submission process, with an emphasis on enthusiasm for research and
diversity from a variety of perspectives, including ethnicity and type and size
of library.

Selection criteria:

  *   Commitment to the year-long process of communicating with other
participants and conducting the proposed study within the 2016-2017 academic
year;

  *    Significance of the research problem to the operational success of the
applicant's library or to the profession of librarianship;

  *    Thoughtfulness, thoroughness, and clarity of the research proposal;

  *   Enthusiasm for research and a desire to learn.

We will be accepting applications from December 1, 2015 to February 1, 2016.

Scholars accepted to the Institute will be notified in early April, 2016.

Please contact Project Directors with any questions about the Institute or the
application process: Kristine Brancolini, Dean of the Library, Loyola Marymount
University (branc...@lmu.edu<mailto:branc...@lmu.edu>) Marie Kennedy, Serials &
Electronic Resources Librarian, Loyola Marymount University
(marie.kenn...@lmu.edu<mailto:marie.kenn...@lmu.edu>)