From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Susan Albrecht
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 1:40 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] No more DVDs? - OK / Not

Jonathan,

I hope I don't sound snarky with this question, because I don't mean to be(!),
but can you explain what the purpose is of offering the experiment with this
particular setup?  Are you hoping to increase the number of streaming
subscriptions? Hoping to bolster DVD sales?  Or something different?

I guess I don't see a whole lot of those who DO have a large commitment to
streamed video already saying, "Gosh, we wish we could also buy the DVD, but as
is, we're only able to afford the streaming."  What I'm seeing, rather, is a
number of us saying, "Gosh, we wouldn't mind dabbling in streaming, but as is,
we're only able to afford the DVD."  In other words, I'm surprised the
experiment isn't the OPPOSITE:  Anyone who purchases "X" number of DVDs can add
on the streamed versions for 50% off, or add a collection for a certain %
discount.

Or maybe I'm missing the point altogether.  I recognize that's a distinct
possibility!

Susan

Susan Albrecht
Graduate Fellowship Advisor
Library Media Acquisitions Manager
Wabash College Lilly Library
765-361-6216 (acquisitions) / 765-361-6297 (fellowships)
765-361-6295 fax
albre...@wabash.edu<mailto:albre...@wabash.edu>
Twitter:  @Wab_Fellowships
www.facebook.com/wabashcollegelibrary.films<http://www.facebook.com/wabashcollegelibrary.films>

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." --Neil Peart