Hello Monique,

I had the same thoughts as Jessica about claiming fair use for the images,
but also--like Jessica--wondered if the international nature of the
scholarship, or publisher requirements, were driving his search for
permissions.

Anyhow, I think I may have some useful information for your scholar.  I
noticed this film was used in an episode of MST3K, leading me to wonder if
it might be public domain.  Alas, the film's copyright was renewed in 1995:

Type of Work: Motion Picture
Registration Number / Date: RE0000703392 / 1995-06-29
Renewal registration for: LP0000035115 / 1967-05-17
Title: The 1,000,000 eyes of Su-Maru.
Copyright Claimant: Sumuru Films, Ltd. (PWH)
Names: Sumuru Films, Ltd.

It appears that Sumuru Films, Ltd. was subsequently dissolved, but that
their holdings would have transferred to (Sumuru director) Harry Alan
Towers' company Towers of London (Film) Limited
<https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07750328>.  The current
director of the company is Veronique Beatrix Van Broekhoven.  The
researcher can contact her via snail mail at 2 Castle Gate Mill, Cragg
Vale, Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire, HX7 5SJ in the UK.  Towers'
widow--Austrian actress/Jesus Franco regular Maria Rohm--has a website and
may be able to provide a more modern form of contact info for the company.

http://www.mariarohm.com/contact-maria/

The BFI catalog <http://collections-search.bfi.org.uk/web/search/simple>
lists a print of the film and a small collection of ephemera, including
press books and a script treatment, in their Special Collections.

All best,

Brian Boling
Media Services Librarian
Temple University Libraries
brian.bol...@temple.edu
Schedule a meeting during my office hours
<http://paleystudy.temple.edu/appointment/8617>