Hi Monique,

When I published The Queer Movie Poster Book back in 2005 with Chronicle Books
I definitely relied on Fair Use. In cases of small distribs where I had easy
contacts I went ahead and requested permission letting them know I had no money
to pay. When I asked Fine Line if I could use the Hedwig poster they said their
standard charge was $1,000 for use and I explained that unless they could waive
the fee I would simply have to eliminate the film from the book (thankfully
they went ahead and waived the fee).

FYI — I do also own a pretty nice 16mm IB Tech print of The Million Eyes of
Sumuru (tho I do not have any rights, just the print). It is an amazing film.

Best,

Jenni

Jenni Olson
Writer-Director, The Royal Road <http://royalroadmovie.weebly.com/>
A cinematic essay set against a contemplative backdrop of 16mm urban California
landscapes, The Royal Road offers up intimate reflections on nostalgia, the
pursuit of unavailable women, butch identity and Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo
alongside a primer on Junipero Serra's Spanish colonization of California and
the Mexican American War. Featuring a voiceover cameo by Tony Kushner.