Re: The Light in her Eyes.  I remember watching this in 2012 for VRT's Notable
Videos for Adults.   It's on the 2013 list here:

http://www.ala.org/vrt/notablevideos/notables2013

The film is about a community of women learning to read the Koran and shows a
vibrant intellectual Syria.  As I recall, the Syrian refugee crisis is not so
much a theme of this film, but when I reflect on what a hopeful attitude is
portrayed in the film, I am filled with nostalgia and sadness at what has been
lost.  In that regard, The Light in Her Eyes might make an excellent film for
showing what Syria has been and for developing an awareness of the current
situation there.
Another film that might work, though it's not about Syrian refugees, is Journey
of Hope.  It is fictional and won the 1990 Academy Award for Best Foreign
Language Film.  While the family is from Turkey, their journey from Turkey to
Europe is similar to the one we hear about every day on the news about Syrian
refugees.  You see step-by-step what the journey involves.  Recommendation for
screening budget: have a line item for tissues.

Regards,
Laura

Laura Jenemann
Media, Film Studies, and Dance Librarian
George Mason University
703-993-7593
ljene...@gmu.edu