From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Simpkins, Terry W.
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:15 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Native Son

Greetings, everyone
I second this interpretation by Deg.  There is nothing in 108 that specifies a
film must "already be in the collection" (if that were the case, then already
in the collection since... when?).  There is so much misinformation about this
stuff, especially, at times, from certain quarters on this list, that it is
important to look at what the law actually says.  108 says nothing about
libraries having to hold copies of an obsolete format for some specified period
of time before invoking 108, nor does it say the library had to have purchased
the item now considered obsolete in new condition.  I don't even think this is
a particularly unusual situation.

If anyone can point out the actual text of the law, or a court case that
established this as an interpretation, that says otherwise, it would be news to
me and I'd be grateful to learn about it.

I'm all for telling faculty when something can't be done, but not for erecting
imaginary and unnecessary barriers to their work.  Copyright law has shifted
far far to the side of protections for content creators.  Let's not make our
lives as librarians and educators even more difficult through timidity, as Deg
rightly says, or self-imposed restrictions with no basis in law.

Terry Simpkins
Director, Discovery & Access Services
Middlebury College
Middlebury VT 05653