Hello,

As some of you know, one of the reasons that I love being a media librarian is
because I love dance.  Not only is the audiovisual medium critical to capturing
dance, but understanding how the human form moves has been a part of cinema
history since...well, a long time, from what I can tell.

I've been researching a lot of great looking dance films lately: winners of San
Francisco Dance Film Festival, Dance on Camera, and others.  What surprises me
is how few of these films seem to have distribution.  While I have seen many
films on dance as a video reviewer, the films submitted for review aren't
always the same as those winning the awards at the festivals.

I'm particularly surprised that one film about a very famous choreographer I
first learned of years ago is running an Indiegogo campaign for DVD/VOD
distribution.  I would think that this film would have broad interest to those
outside of the dance community, given that the choreographer has worked with
Michael Jackson.

I'm simply curious and hoping to learn:
Why do many award-winning dance films lack distribution, while others don't?
Is it because dance is a niche interest?  Or are there other reasons?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and creative ideas.

Regards,
Laura

Laura Jenemann
Media, Film Studies, and Dance Librarian
George Mason University
703-993-7593
ljene...@gmu.edu