Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions for open-source film and video
selection tools. After an un-scientific survey of the alternatives I'm even
more convinced that VL is an indispensable tool for busy librarians trying
to ensure we're leaving no cinematic stone unturned. Remarks from VL
publisher Randy Pitman add further evidence to my conclusion:

Like others mentioned, we too have to search far and wide for information
while working on each issue. On the plus side, we receive daily press
announcements as well as daily deliveries of DVD and Blu-ray titles for
review.
We’ve been doing this for 30 years and, in my opinion, the AV universe has
only grown larger and more complicated over time. It’s extremely difficult
to keep up on releases that come from a myriad of companies, even from
filmmakers whose work you would think would be highly publicized (I was
surprised last week when a copy of Werner Herzog’s “Gesualdo” Death for
Five Voices” came across my desk—how many people have even heard of this?)

So three cheers to everyone who contributes to VL and helps us librarians
create wonderful AV collections!

[image: Library-logo-ES.png]
*Anna Simon *
Collection, Research & Instruction Librarian
Art, Film, and Museum Studies
202-687-7467
ajs...@georgetown.edu
Ars Hoya: GU Art Blog <https://blogs.commons.georgetown.edu/ajs299/>