I pulled 2015 use data for ASU’s subscription to Films on Demand today.  I
found the data to be very interesting so thought that readers of VideoLib might
find it interesting too.

Our total use of Films on Demand for 2015 (Jan 1-Dec 31) was 811,196 views.
That is roughly a 26% increase over our 2014 use of 642,949

Of the more than 25,000 titles in Films on Demand ASU used 6856 titles, or
slightly more than 25% of what is available.  Of course much of that use is a
“long tail”, titles that received only 1 or a couple uses.

But 2670 titles received more than 4 views, the customary trigger for PDA
licensing.

If we had to license everything that was used more than 4 times in 2015 our
total cost for Films on Demand would have been $400,500 !!!!!

Our cost for Films on Demand is far less than $.10 per view.

For the record, ASU Libraries conducted the first PDA model for streaming
video, working with the incomparable Diane Bilelo.  That pilot project was
documented in the journal article :

farrelly, d. (2008). Use-determined Streaming Video Acquisition: The Arizona
Model for FMG On Demand. College & University Media Review, 14(1), 65-78.

It ultimately led to the development of the FoD subscription model.

To date, ASU has had 3,380,900+ views in Films On Demand.

deg farrelly
Media Librarian
Arizona State University
deg.farre...@asu.edu<mailto:deg.farre...@asu.edu>